Sunday, September 20, 2009

I'm BACK!

I've missed it and I want to get back into it. So, now I'm only about 3 months behind, but I WILL catch up. Let's start off with the first week of summer...
We had a TORNADOE hit in Flower Mound! Todd sent out an email to his family with a link with video footage of the tornadoe. I decided to copy and paste his email... saves me some time. Plus, it's kind of funny to hear him describe it...

******************************************************************
Dear Family,
Well, something very special happened in our little town of Flower Mound on Wednesday. We had a little Tornado action going on! We actually lost our power around 5pm Wednesday night and just got it turned back on this morning around 9am. Wednesday and Thursday night were VERY hot with no A/C and no fans. According to reports, we had over 4,500 lightning strikes as well in the Dallas area Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. The Tornado winds did some pretty solid damage and knocked large trees on to homes, cars, in to power lines, etc … A family in our ward that lives in our neighborhood had their entire chimney blown off their house. We have a priesthood service project tonight to pull a big tree off a ward family members house.

When the Tornado sirens went off, most smart families went and huddles in their closets for safety. Juliana was not home to help me and the kids do the smart and safe thing … so we were just RUNNING back and forth from the bedroom windows in the front of the house to the windows in the game room in the back of the house taking it ALL in. We got a great show .. the kids loved seeing their swings blowing all over the swingset and watching our lawn chairs go flying across the yard and smack in to the fence.

So … you may be asking … where was Juliana. Juliana was out doing some shopping and was in her favorite baby store, Janie and Jack, when the Tornado force winds hit. The store was required to lock the doors and all the customers in the store to ride out the storm. Juliana was “forced” to shop for Brooklyn. Brooklyn has the tornado to thank for a few nice new outfits..

Anyways, check out the video from the link below. This was taken literally less than a ½ mile from our house. Apparently this couple loves to chase storms and got caught right in it … right by our house. Forgive the beeped out swears … they are not of our faith.

http://untamedscience.com/DFWstorm

Please Note – We have set up “Salway Tornado Relief Fund” to help us through this tough time and cover the cost of all the food we lost in our Fridge and Freezers while the power was out. Please send Cash to our home address. I think $500 from each family should do cover our needs plus pay for a portion of our next family vacation.

Love – Todd.
******************************************************************************
YES... he was right. I was "stuck" at Janie and Jack. I got to the store with about 30 minutes to shop before the store was closing. They had just started their big sale and I had so many things to look at, I just didn't know how I was going to make it in 30 minutes. It was like winning the lottery when we got locked in. I was locked in there for about 1 1/2 hours and loving every minute of it.
The next day I drove around with the boys and they took videos of the damage and I took a couple still shots.
We were miserable... it was hot and humid and we had no power for about 38 hours- 2 full nights. It was HOT! It was fun for about the first 2 hours and then we kept waiting and waiting for the fans and AC to come back on. Todd had work events the next day and evening, and so I was stuck with all the kids and the hot heat by myself... and that was not fun either. I decided to take them out to eat and that was kind of miserable too.
About a day after the power returned, we lost it again for a couple of hours and that was like sheer panic. We did feel blessed to have the power back when it came on because there were people in my ward who didn't have it for another 28 hours.
Here's a couple of pictures we took while driving around.







3 comments:

tamara said...

LOL...love Todd's plea for donations! So funny. That was a pretty miserable experience, though...probably helped some of us get our emergency supplies more in order :-)

Theresa Walker said...

I think that is scary. Since we moved to Georgia the kids are just waiting for a tornado. I have the closet we will be hiding in all picked out. Glad you got to spend some extra time shopping; such a punishment :)

Melanie said...

I loved hearing Todd's description of the tornado...that was definitely a day to remember!