Saturday, November 01, 2008

The Baby Sister

She's here!

Introducing the Baby Sister...

Brooklyn Lucille Salway
October 27, 2008
2:33 pm
8 lbs. 5 oz
19 3/4 inches

Get ready for a whole bunch of pictures!

We went to the hospital Monday morning to have the new baby. My mom came into town Sunday afternoon to help watch the kids.

Brooklyn had trouble getting air at first and so the nurse wanted to monitor her upstairs in the nursery for 2 to 4 hours. That kind of scared me, as it would any new mom...and disappointed me too. I only got to hold her for a quick second... long enough to snap a picture before they took her upstairs. (it's the first one below where she's screaming.)

Todd texted me from the nursery a few minutes later and said, "she's fine... you'll have her back in 10 to 15 minutes." That meant the world to me. I have been waiting so long to hold my baby...

After we got her back and got to spend some time with her, she went back up to the nursery to have a bath. I love this picture because you can see her rolls... she is a big girl!

She was born later in the afternoon, and with all the commotion of sending her upstairs, getting her back, and me being transferred upstairs, it was probably close to 5 when Todd went home to get the kids. When he left, my afterbirth contractions were so bad I was begging for pain medication. They gave me a shot of demerol and fenigran in my IV to help with my pain and reduce nausea. I have to say, I have never had such strong pain medication before... and I loved it. It made me so tired,... but boy did it do a wonder for my pain. The hard part was that Todd was on his way back up to the hospital with the boys and my mom and I wasn't able to even open my eyes. I was so out of it when they came I feel like I kind of missed the moment with them. That's OK... Todd got it on video and took lots of pictures.







Day 2 in the hospital. She's getting cuter... and a little more girly looking...I've never brought real clothes for my boys to the hospital... I just let them wear what the nursery gives them. But... this time I brough a cute pink outfit and we dressed her up. It was fun to see her in pink and wearing a cute bow!


My mom and the boys came up for another visit. CHAOS!!! That's the hardest part... the older kids having a hay-day with all the buttons, drapes, bed and chairs to climb on... absolute crazyness. Oh yeah, and not to mention the fighting over who gets to hold her first. Here's a picture of my mom and the newest grand-daughter..


Day 3... we go home! We dressed her up in her dolly dress and packed her in her carseat.


I came home to a beautifully decorated house with pink and white balloons, signs, and some beautiful flowers. That was a very nice surprise. We didn't get home until about 6 pm. Andrew was hoping that I'd be home when he got home from school and so he invited all the neighbor kids to come to his house and see his new baby sister. LUCKILY we were still at the hospital when they all showed up!

When we pulled into the garage, all the boys were standing in the doorway, just so excited for us to arrive. They ran out to the car, opened the door and then it began... the fight over who got to hold her first. I hadn't mentally prepared myself for that one. After some creative negotiating, we went youngest to oldest.


My mom had worked so hard to clean my house for me. It was sparkly clean. Thanks mom! She even bought me a boquet of flowers. They were waiting in my room for me.


Let me explain the name...


Brooklyn is a name that Todd and I have loved since we first got married. We were deciding between Brooklyn and 2 others. We tried them out on her and Brooklyn just seemed to fit her. We did leave the hospital without naming her, and we named her on Friday, Oct. 31.


Her middle name is Lucille, after my great-aunt Lucille. I have always wanted to name a daughter after my great-aunt... who is really more like a grandmother to me. Aunt Lucy (as we all call her) has so many Christ-like qualities and is such a giving, generous person. When Tyce died she wrote me letters almost every other day for several months. She just knows how to make you feel happy and good inside. I was hoping that one day I would have a daughter to carry on Aunt Lucy's name. When I found out Brooklyn was a girl, I knew Lucille would be her middle name. It would make me very happy as a mom if Brooklyn turned out to be like her Great-Great Aunt Lucy. Here is a picture from summer 2007 of me and Aunt Lucy up in Seattle.

28 comments:

The Sampietro's said...

WOW..Congrats...Umm you look fabulous for just having a baby...I always tend to look like a gastric bypass patient! We wish we could see her! Keep posting the pics!

MollyE said...

Thanks for the pictures, I was dying to see more and hear the name! I love it! You look wonderful, and I am so so so so happy for you and your brood. Happy Recovery!

Jenn S. said...

Hooray! She is so stinkin cute and hello? Could she be *any* more loved and adored? I am already fearing for any potential suitors she may have! ;)

Welcome Brooklyn!

kristi said...

Congratulations!!!! She is just absolutely beautiful. I am so happy for you guys. I have been checking your blog regularly to see if you had had her yet.

Megan said...

Congratulations! We couldn't be happier for your family. That little girl is going to be spoiled to pieces by her older brothers!

alexandra said...

Juliana, you look awesome. You drive me nuts! Oh, and that baby girl is precious. I am so so happy for you!
xoxo

momwhite said...

Fantastic! Brooklyn is adorable, your family is wonderful, and I am thrilled to be able to see your posts! Congratulations!

Cook Family said...

Congratulations! I happened to run into Ahna the day you had her, so I've been waiting for pictures. She is one lucky girl to have so many loving big brothers.

tamara said...

Love all the photos!! So sweet that you were able to name Brooklyn Lucille after your great aunt....good luck with the brotherly "competition"... just wait until she is old enough to date ;-)

Monica Rich said...

Congratulations! I am so very happy for you.

Julie said...

Yea! It's time to bring over cookies! :) She is such a cutie!

ps...it's gonna say connor, but it's me...julie!

Tiffany Webber said...

Oh Juliana I am SO SO SO Happy for you! She is absolutely beautiful! What a doll! And I love the name Brooklyn! It totally fits her doesn't it? These pictures remind me of how happy I was when I finally got to hold Kaden!! It feels like an eternity until you FINALLY get your baby!! You know what I mean!! :) Oh, and you look amazing!! It makes me sick how fabulous you look! You would never even know you just gave birth if it weren't for the hospital gown and the baby! lol! Congrats to your whole family!! This just made my night!!! :)

The Wright Stuff said...

What a doll! I LOVE her name!!!! She is adorable! I'm so excited for you to not be the only girl anymore and I'm so excited for Brooklyn to have big brothers to protect her! (Although I'm sure they'll tease and torture her endlessly! ) Congratulations! She is one lucky little girl to have you for her mommy!

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful baby girl! Just like her Mommy.... We are so excited for you guys and know you will just love having some pink around the house! We really couldn't be happier for you....

Love, The Hawkins Family

Jill said...

Congratulations Juliana and Todd! We are so happy for you. Brooklyn is a little doll and I love the nursery you did for her! What a blessing! Enjoy her as I know you will!

Dave and Debbie said...

Todd and Juliana, We are thrilled for all of you! She is beautiful, looks like a little, dark haired Justin! I can't wait until she starts to run around with "the boys", she will be one tough young woman! I have a grandma Lucille, she had the same traits as your aunt, I love both names. Congrats and Lots of Love!

Bart and Krista said...

She is SO cute! I just want to hold her! Congratulations! WE are SOOOO excited for you. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her name!

Julie said...

Congratulations, JB! Beautiful pictures of all of you. You look fantastic and so happy. It was great to see a picture of your mom too...it's been years since I've seen her. She looks just the same.

Take care and know I'm thinking of you!

Love, Jules

Meridith said...

Juliana and Todd,
Congratulations on your beautiful little angel. Brooklyn will be well loved by all her brothers who want to hold her. That sounds like a fun struggle. I'm so happy that she is born and I loved all your nursery pictures. It turned out so adorable!! You guys did a great job.

Love, Meridith and Bart

bloggingchristy said...

Cute, cute, cute!!! I love that you had a chubby little girl! Chubby babies are so squishy and lovable (I should know)!! I can't wait to see her!

Your nusery turned out so cute too! How fun to have a pink bedroom to bring her home to!

Kristina said...

Woohoo! We are so excited for you. I'm sorry, but you make the cutest kids and have the most adorable family. Love you guys. Wish we could be there to see Brooklyn! Love the name by the way!

Laurie said...

Congratulations!! I love that she looks like you (except for the rolls; you look great). It cracks me up that your boys fought over holding her. Two of mine had to be bribed to hold Pete two weeks after he was born!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that you and beautiful Brooklyn are doing well. What an honor to be named after an amazing woman!

Mary said...

She is beautiful and you look amazing too! Congratulations!!!

Unknown said...

She is gorgeous - so feminine! We are so happy for your family and send you our love.

Sweet story about her middle name. I'm sure your aunt is honored!

Shelly Kenison said...

I am so excited for you guys. She is so cute and chubby how fun to have her here. The pictures that Whitni took are absolutely precious. Congratulations!!!

AMB said...

Congratulations! I am thrilled for you! I'm looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing more stories! Love you!!!

Sarah said...

Congratulations!! She is adorable and you look amazing. Ava is now over 5 months old and Georgia and Macie still fight over holding her first, smiling at her first, and riding in the car next to her first. It's crazy, but kinda sweet at the same time. Sarah V