Thursday, May 15, 2008

Spring Break- Part 2

For the second part of our spring break, we went to a new hotel closer to the River Walk. We spent Friday in downtown San Antonio seeing some historic sights. Here are the boys on a cannon at the Alamo, with the state Pecan tree behind them. I had no idea that the Pecan tree was Texas' tree... until Andrew told me. I asked him where he learned that and he said, "at school (duh!)" OK, in my defense I never took Texas state history... it's wierd to me that my kids are Texans.
Here we are out in front of the Alamo. I actually learned really what the Alamo is/was for the first time. I mean I've seen and heard a ton about it, but never really felt like I totally understood it until now.

We were at the gift shop looking at some "model" of what the grounds looked like during the actual war. I saw a military guy in uniform, and proceeded to ask him a question about something that happened. I was so fortunate to spend the next 30 minutes listening to him give me a history lesson. Meanwhile, Todd is standing behind him giving me the look of death... meaning "let's GO!!!" Todd kept doing that thing with his hand where he's like slicing his neck (for lack of a better description) meaning "enough!" I felt so bad stopping the guy. He was in his element. I actually did learn a lot about it all. Then we went and sat in on a free movie about it. It was about 20 minutes long and the kids actually liked it. So, I feel like a true Alamo expert now. Ask me anything... and I probably won't know the answer. I forget history really fast.

We also took the kids on the river boat tour ride. It was fun... and a great way to see the river walk without having to walk the river walk (we forgot our stroller)


Here's Blake on the boat ride.

Dad and Justin



Blake and Justin love to do silly faces.



After the boat ride we walked for a little bit and took some pictures. Behind us is something historical... and important... and I knew what it was at the time, but I've totally forgotten.

One of the hightlights of the trip for me was going to the San Marcos Outlet mall. It is by far the best outlet mall I've ever been to. The highlight for me is the PotterBarn Outlet. Yes- I bought stuff... I'll see if I can find a picture from their website and post what I bought. Todd is very giddy about it. We just need to find the money to fill it.... now I have you hooked, check back to see what it is!

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

mikensi said...

"duh!" hheehe.. you texans.. do you get a lot of alaska jokes out there? there's some rival between them being the 2 biggest states.. anyway-- fun pictures!!

Laurie said...

Loved going to the Alamo when my sister lived in San Antonio. I came away really sad that there's not as much history for Nevada, or as cool a flag or sayings "everything's bigger in Texas" etc.

What a fun trip. Your Blake at the swim park reminds me so much of my Nate.

Dying to hear about Pottery Barn purchase--fill it with money?

Anonymous said...

FUN, FUN, FUN! It is gorgeous there!

Bart and Krista said...

Fun! Fun! I can't wait to come visit. Mail me my plane ticket ASAP!

Jill said...

I am glad you guys had such a great time! Your boys are all very cute!

Anonymous said...

This brought back some fun memories of 2 years ago when Rick and I stayed right there on the Riverwalk. I think I got to listen to the same guy in the military uniform at the Alamo. I know where Todd got his impatience when it comes to the "history thing". Cute picutes! I must admit...part of my heart is in Texas.

Shelly Kenison said...

What a cute family. I love San Antonio. We went last year for spring break and had a blast. Can't wait to hear if your baby is a boy or girl. Congratulations!!!

Megan said...

The San Marcos Outlet convinced me that I really do need to visit Texas sometime in the near future. :) Looks like you had a great spring break.

Greg and Torrey said...

congrats on the pregnancy! i am so happy for you all. you are such a gorgeous family... even todd!

Mary said...

I so happy that I found your blog! Has your sister moved to Michigan yet? Please give her my e-mail. I would love to talk to her.

Tiffany Webber said...

It looks like you guys had a great spring break! We definitely need to get together! You, me and Whitni! Jordan got a job in Utah and we are moving the end of June! It totally doesn't even feel real yet! I can't wait to find out if you are having a boy or a girl!! My sis in law had four boys and then a girl so anything can happen! My vote is for a boy!! Boys are the best! :)

Matthews Family said...

You guys know how to vacation! I want to come next time on all your fun trips.