Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Blessing Day

We blessed Brooklyn on Dec. 28, 2008. It was a beautiful, sunny day. I remember sitting in the Chapel with the sun shining in through the door and landing on Brooklyn and her dress.

Let me introduce you to "THE DRESS." It was made in 1919 by my great, great grandmother. So, it was Brooklyn's great, great, great grandmother who made this dress. Each of my sisters have had their daughters blessed in this dress.

This next little story was written by my grandmother, Thelma Bishopp, explaining the history of this blessing dress.

HISTORY OF THE BLESSING DRESS
August 2008 – by T. Bishopp

This special blessing dress was made by Christina Emma Larsen Irving, grandmother of Thelma Stephens Bishopp. Christina made this dress in 1919 for her granddaughter, Lucille Emma Stephens Pugh. However, she suddenly passed away in May before Lucille’s birth in September.

No doubt countless hours were spent TATTING (an almost lost art now) the lace insets for the bodice and lace inserts in the skirts of both the dress and slip . With LOVE she sewed EVERY STITCH and placed the tiny buttons and snaps.

It was an emotional day in September 1919 for Vivian, Christina Emma’s daughter, to dress her baby daughter, Lucille, in the dress for her blessing.

Again the dress was used for Vivian’s second daughter, Thelma, for her blessing in 1922. Years passed and this little dress, wrapped in tissue paper, was in Lucille’s kind care and keeping. In 1960 in was brought forth for Thelma’s daughter – Barbara Ann.

In July 2000 Annette (granddaughter of Thelma) had her daughter ANDREA Muir ((April 14, 2000) wear it for her blessing. .Again Annette’s daughter, EMILY MUIR ((June 19, 2004) . used it for her blessing.

Tanya’s (granddaughter of Thelma) little girls – Jordan Taylor Calhoun (December 23, 2003) and Erin Meg Calhoun (October 6, 2005) also were blessed in this little treasured gown.

--to be continued (right now it is on its way to Columbus, Ohio for Krista’s baby’s blessing… 8/28/08

Krista (my sister) blessed her little Whitney in September 2008 in this heirloom dress.

I was privelaged and honored to have Brooklyn Lucille - (yes, named after her great, great Aunt Lucille who the dress was originally made for) blessed in the Dress on December 28, 2008. The dress is 90 years old- and in perfect condition. Enjoy the pictures!


I love this next picture of Todd holding his baby girl.



























Todd's parents were in town for Christmas and the Brooklyn's blessing.

These next couple pictures were taken in the foyer after church.



Then we came home and I took more pictures. At the end you will see my stage crew and realize all the work this photo session was for EVERYONE!






























































1 comment:

tamara said...

Hey Juliana...I guess I know what YOU were doing while Blake was over playing at my house ;-)

I LOVE the photos. I had no idea there was such history to Brooklyn's blessing gown. It is truly STUNNING!! I can't believe it has held up so well. What a wonderful tradition...I'm curious (unless I misunderstood) but were YOU and your sisters blessed in the gown?