Monday, October 20, 2008

Blake's poor finger

Saturday night about a week and a half ago we were hanging out with some friends. All the kids were in the back yard playing. All of a sudden the kids all came in and said, "Blake's bleeding really bad." I looked up from the couch and see Blake's white face still struggling to take a breath (you know when they cry so hard they can't get their first breath) and he started falling backwards like he was going to pass out. Todd jumped up and grabbed him and I put a rag on his hand, not sure where the injury was. As I took off the rag, the tip of his finger almost came off with it.

Unfortunately these pictures don't do it justice. I should have tipped it back and taken a shot of the inside of his finger. I mean... hopefully I'll never get the opportunity to take a picture of the inside of a finger again.

The doctor put two shots of numbing stuff at the base of his finger and then after a couple of minutes Blake fell asleep. Todd layed next to him and the dr. stitched it back on. It was still attached by part of the skin where his finger print is. I guess he fell off of a razor scooter and landed on the top of his finger where it sliced through to the other side. They took an X-Ray and saw Blake cut the tip of his bone too. The Dr. gave it a 20% chance of surviving... he didn't think it would resume blood flow. But... so far so good. We return in a couple of days to check it out again. He has to have the stitches in for 3 weeks.





The next day I had to check it for swelling... Blake was not happy about it. He didn't want anyone or anything to touch it for about a week. It's feeling better now. He was on pain killers for about 5 days straight and waking up in the night from the pain. That was fun! I'm just hoping it continues to heal good.




Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

tamara said...

Oh Juliana, those photos made tears come to my eyes. Poor sweet Blake. It's so hard to see your baby get hurt, and I have to say, those photos are pretty awful! I'll be praying everything heals well and he retains feeling of that finger tip!!

Shawna and David said...

That's nasty. Those pictures are very graphic. My whole body aches after looking at them. How is Blake doing now?

Bart and Krista said...

I agree with Shawna..
the back of my knees are totally weak right now. Ugh.

Julie E. said...

I almost pass out just looking at that... OOOOh. So sorry you all had to go through that.

Anonymous said...

How sad... it is horrible when little ones get hurt. That really does look bad. I hope it continues to heal properly. Good luck!